Redirects are used to make a single webpage accessible via more than one URL.
When a browser opens a URL that has been redirected, a page with a different URL is opened.
Redirects are setup for a variety of reasons, including URL shortening and the prevention of broken links when web pages are moved or deleted.
The Redirects page lists all of the redirects that have been added to a site with options to Test, Edit, or Delete existing redirects.
Adding a New Redirect
- Select the "Add New Redirect."
- Enter the URL being redirected "From example.nd.edu/" field.
- Enter the URL for the page being redirect to in the "Destination" field.
- Confirm Status. (Generally, "301 Permanent," the default, is used. 302 Redirects are for temporary redirects only.)
- Find the redirect in the list and test the Redirect with the "Test" button.