Image Requirements & Preparations
Images must be prepared prior to their being uploaded into Conductor.
Some users may have the resources and experience to use professional grade software such as Photoshop to prepare images, but there are many alternatives. One popular and free option is picmonkey.com.
Consider Image Type
- Use .jpg for most images. .jpg provides a good balance of image quality and file size
- Use .png for images that require transparency (e.g., logos)
Manage Image Size
- Images should have maximum file size of 80k.
Cropping and Other Alterations
- Images should be cropped and saved with proper dimensions prior to upload.
Adding Images & Documents
On the Uploads page:
- Select “Add Files(s)” button.
- Select the file(s) to be uploaded.
- Select “Open” button.
Note: Images can also be added via the Uploads Browser on a specific page.
The title given to an upload in Conductor becomes the image description when that image is inserted. The default title is derived from the filename of a file when it is uploaded. So, whether it is addressed in file name prior to upload, or by editing the title after upload, a good image description is vital.
Good image descriptions are important for a variety of reasons:
- Good image descriptions allow Conductor admins to find an image easily.
- Good image descriptions allow search engines to understand the images on a page (and, in turn, determine their relevance to a particular search).
- Good image descriptions are also important for users using screen readers or assistive devices. The image description may be read aloud to a user who cannot see the image.
Therefore, a good image description is concise and descriptive.
Image description for an active photo:
"Notre Dame students cheer at a Women’s Basketball game"
Image description for scenery:
"Main building covered in snow"
Image description for a portrait:
"Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C."
Editing Image Description
On the Uploads page:
- Locate the image in need of an updated description.
- Select “Edit.”
- Edit the existing title in the box that appears.
- Select “Save.”