Image Requirements & Preparations
Images must be prepared prior to their being uploaded into Conductor.
Some users may have the resources and experience to use professional-grade software such as Photoshop to prepare images, but there are many alternatives. One free option is Squoosh.
Consider Image Type
- Use .jpg for most images. .jpg provides a good balance of image quality and file size
- Use .png for images that require transparency (e.g., logos)
Manage Image Size
- Images should have maximum file size of 80k.
Cropping and Other Alterations
- Images should be cropped and saved with proper dimensions prior to upload.
Adding Images & Documents
On the Uploads page:
- Select “Add Files(s)” button.
- Select the file(s) to be uploaded.
- Select “Open” button.
Note: Images can also be added via the Uploads Browser on a specific page.
The title given to an upload in Conductor becomes the image description when that image is inserted. The default title is derived from the filename of a file when it is uploaded. So, whether it is addressed in file name prior to upload, or by editing the title after upload, a good image description is vital.
Good image descriptions are important for a variety of reasons:
- Good image descriptions allow Conductor admins to find an image easily.
- Good image descriptions allow search engines to understand the images on a page (and, in turn, determine their relevance to a particular search).
- Good image descriptions are also important for users using screen readers or assistive devices. The image description may be read aloud to a user who cannot see the image.
Therefore, a good image description is concise and descriptive.
Image description for an active photo:
"Notre Dame students cheer at a Women’s Basketball game"
Image description for scenery:
"Main building covered in snow"
Image description for a portrait:
"Rev. John I. Jenkins, C.S.C."
Editing Image Description
On the Uploads page:
- Locate the image in need of an updated description.
- Select “Edit.”
- Edit the existing title in the box that appears.
- Select “Save.”